Sew Positive is looking to recruit a new treasurer.
Over the past two years, Sew Positive has gone from strength to strength and we are now looking to expand our Board of Trustees to help shape the future. It’s an exciting time to join the Board as we work to build on our programmes for individuals, our community and businesses.
We are fully committed to eliminating discrimination and promoting equality and diversity in the work we undertake and in the provision of all our services. We welcome applications from a wide range of individuals; passion for the organisation and our work is key, along with an understanding of and a commitment to the legal function of the trustee role. Experience of the charitable sector is desirable but not essential.
Sew Positive is currently a small charity, therefore all trustee roles require a blend of strategic thinking and hands-on involvement to shape the future direction of the charity. Each trustee appointment is for a term of three years.
All trustees must be able to commit to four Board meetings and one strategic planning day per year in Cambridge. The role generally also requires an average of one day per month for trustee responsibilities. All trustee roles are voluntary but reasonable expenses, such as travel costs, will be reimbursed.
The role of treasurer
The Treasurer will oversee the financial and assurance matters of the charity in line with good practice and in accordance with the governing document and legal requirements. The Treasurer will report to the Board of Trustees at regular intervals about the financial health of the organisation to enable the Board to better make strategic decisions. The Treasurer will ensure that effective financial and other risk measures, controls and procedures are put in place, and are appropriate for the charity.
Summary of responsibilities
- Oversee the presentation of budgets, internal management accounts and annual financial statements to the Board of Trustees
- Lead the Board’s duty to ensure that proper accounting records are kept, financial resources are properly controlled, invested and economically spent, in line with good governance, legal and regulatory requirements
- Monitor and advise on the financial viability of the charity
- Oversee financial controls and adherence to systems, regularly liaising with the Chair and Chief Executive to ensure that policies are observed and operational risk is minimised
- Act as the Trustee lead on the appointment of and liaison with professional advisors, to include, but not limited to, external accountants
- Act as a counter-signatory on large payments
- Liaise with the Chief Executive to keep an overview of the organisation’s affairs and to provide support as appropriate including business development
- Liaise with the Chief Executive to develop the financial understanding of the Board of Trustees.
Please note that the Treasurer also has the general responsibilities of a Trustee.
If you’re interested in applying, please send us the following:
● an up-to-date CV, biography or LinkedIn profile
● a short supporting statement explaining how you believe your skills and experience would add value to Sew Positive
● Details of any business or other interests which might give rise to conflict of interest, and
how you could address this should your application be successful.
If you have any queries about any aspect of the appointment process, need additional information or would like to have an informal and confidential discussion then please contact email@example.com